Thursday, November 19, 2015

I took a little break from blogland!

I hadn't intended it to last over 7 months, but I guess time just got away from me!

Lots of quilting being done, and tons of other stuff, but the best thing EVER is that our little grandbaby Madeline Faye Martin was born on October 24!  And she is the sweetest thing ever!

 Here she is, just 2 hours old!  Adorable!



And here she is 3 weeks old.....and on the quilt I made for her!


It's an oversized baby quilt, so she can use it on her big girl bed later!  I pretty much copied the quilt that Nicole at Mama Love Quilts showed here!  Nicole's color sense is amazing, and her quilts are so lovely, full of joy and happiness!   I fell in love with it the second I saw it, and knew I had to make one for little Maddie!

As you can imagine, life right now is revolving around the little peanut (peanut M&M that is......get it.....Maddie Martin.....M&M.......HA!!!)  And..... when Liz goes back to work in January, we get to be the Mon-Fri babysitters!  I can't wait!!!  Maddie is perfect in every way.....she's so good-natured, happy and healthy.....and the only time she cries is when she's hungry!  So easy!  What a little sweetheart!  LOVE HER!!!!

Ok.....enough Grammy gushing, right!?!  On to quilty stuff!

There was an incredible antique quilt at the Vermont Quilt Festival last year that I knew I just had to reproduce!  So when we were preparing for our winter in Florida, I cut a chunk out of nearly every piece of repro fabric I had and drafted up a block for paper piecing.  I designed it a bit different from the original, but this will fit our bed.

So when we got to Florida, I got busy on it!  It took just over a month, and I finished piecing all the blocks!  I'm so in love with this quilt!  I could seriously make a dozen of them!  The blocks are so addicting.

Here are the blocks pinned to my impromptu design wall (a king-sized sheet binder-clipped to the curtain rod!)


But then.......I started to put the blocks together!  And that's where it came to a screeching halt!  I've never machine pieced Y-seams before, and it takes every ounce of concentration I can muster to get a nice join.  So it is moving very slowly now, but that's ok, because every join has been perfect!  YAY!

And, if you've ever wondered what it was like to live in a beehive, well........crazy, huh?




I'm hoping everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

regan






16 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about you the other day and voila you have a post!! Maddie is absolutely adorable!! Congrats to all!!! And that quilt is perfect!!! The "beehive" blocks are pretty cool! Can't wait to see the completed project!! Glad to see you back in blogland. I've missed your fun posts!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your blocks are gorgeous!! What an amazing quilt this will be!! What a sweet babygirl - congratulations :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandbabies are the best, aren't they? She looks like a little doll in the first picture, what a beautiful little face
    There's a heap of sewing in those blocks, you must love them to be willing to do so many. Good luck with the y seams, they do get easier as you go along...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your cute little peanut M&M. She's adorable. Your blocks are fabulous ... continued success with those Y seams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is just precious and what a blessing to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! What a cutie! Love you hexagon log cabin. Happy Thanksgiving to you. We will be in your neck of the woods. I go to my sister's in Stow every year. Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a sweet baby!!! she looks so cute on your quilt. Love your project.
    happy thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maddie is a adorable and think of all the fun you'll have watching her. Your hexagon log cabin is awesome. You'll have those Y seams down pat when you're done. I bet that is what it looks like living in a bee hive! Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats o the new grandbaby! She is super adorable!!
    Wow! Your quilt is pretty lovely- nice job with the Y seams!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a little charmer! Happy times for grandma! : )
    I can't believe you pieced those blocks in one month! I am so impressed! It will be a gorgeous quilt. I was actually thinking it might be fun to make a mini version, until you mentioned Y-seams! *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful granddaughter and quilts--she's so lucky to have a Grandmother making quilts for her

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations that baby is scrumptious!!!
    The quilts are as well...but that baby....oooh c'mon!
    And why is it so damn cute for chubby thighs on a baby.
    But yet mine aren't near as cute. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back and can I say that Maddie is beautiful!! The baby quilt is perfect. And can I also say I'm a bit green over your WIP quilt. How hard was it to figure out the pattern? It's really stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your beautiful grandbaby girl. I hope Mommy and Daddy are doing well also.

    Love the quilt but Y seams scare me! I look forward to seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your new grandbaby's name - being a grandma is the BEST, huh? Great quilt projects - good to see your post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Baby and quilt projects are both beautiful!

    xo Kendra

    ReplyDelete