Sunday, February 22, 2015

Running? Me???

Yep.....I can't believe it, but yesterday I actually ran my first 5K!  Yikes!

Our cousin April, here in Tampa, has been running the Gasparilla races for the last 8 or 9 years, and when we arrived down here last October, she told us all about it......and said it would be great if we all ran it!  And we all got really excited, and registered, and figured we had a good two months to train and get ready!

Did I train????  No!

Hubby didn't either!

But we both ran it and had a blast!


Here we are.....after the run, sporting our medals!  And yes......I wore orange!  Of course!  LOL

On the quilting front, I put aside the criss-cross blocks and picked up the paper piecing on my pineapple blocks (Bonnie Hunter's Pineapple Crazy quilt).  I've worked on these blocks off and on over the last year or so, and have over 100 now!  Woot!  But I need a gazillion.....so I'm spending some time on them while we're here.  I just love making them.....they are mindless......and sometimes you just want to push fabric through the machine without thinking about it!


These are some of the trimmed ones......I have a huge stack that still needs trimming.

And it always amazes me how the bags of scraps never seem to get smaller when I'm trying to use them up!  I brought with me three 2-gallon ziplock bags jammed full of scraps......and they still seem to be just as full, and I just made another 30 of these blocks!  Sheesh!  lol

Another project I made since we've been here in Florida is a giant wonky stars quilt I saw floating around on pinterest a few months back.  I used up the last of the big florals from my Florabunda quilt and used up a big yardage piece of sagey-green solid I had in my stash.  I really like the green with the florals......a different look than the yellows with them.


I should have pressed it before the pic......but the daylight was right and I was thinking about it......oh well!  :o)

So that about sums up my last few weeks.  We've been playing a bit of golf, but February seems to be the rainy season down here, so we haven't played as much as we would have.  And I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining about the weather, since most of the country is dealing with crazy, messy, freezing and blizzard stuff.  All I can say is we are SO GLAD we decided to winter in Florida this year......what a blessing this has been!

I'll post again when I have some progress to show on something.....until then, stay warm my friends!

regan

16 comments:

  1. Seriously love those pineapple blocks - marvelous way to use scraps!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your first 5k and I always love seeing your projects! First warmish day here today which means you guys will be home soon, I hope. Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your first 5K! You've started down a slippery path; next thing you know you'll be running 10Ks and then half-marathons. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! 5K! That is awesome. I'll just be thankful when the snow has cleared enough to be able to "walk" down the street! Love the wonky stars and the pineapple blocks! Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic accomplishment on your run and yea for your decision to avoid the snow this winter. The pineapple blocks are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, I just love your pineapple blocks ... makes me want to run in and work on my pineapple blocks. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops, forgot to congratulate you on your run. Oh to be a snowbird.

      Delete
  7. good for you but you must be sore!! great pineapple blocks and stars

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kudos to you on the run!
    You know I love the pineapples, right? : )
    The wonky stars are very fun. Yes, the green is such a different look from the yellow of Floribunda. Amazing how one little change can create such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! I am proud of you guys!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. After this winter we have decided to winter in Florida once retirement begins. Seriously can't take this bitter cold much more. Enjoy the warmth!!! In the mean time, the way things are going I bet you won't be up north until July. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh bad me, Congratulations on the run/5K. Great job. I don't know if I could do that without some training. I'm impressed

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to go Regan!! Congrats on your first 5k run. Love your pineapple blocks. So glad to hear about you again. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adore those pineapple blocks! And the star quilt is stunning! Good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Pineapple blocks are lovely and congrats on the 5K not always an easy task when you haven't trained. For future reference this year February was unusually rainy for Florida January too for that matter. I hope you are enjoy winter in Florida and come back again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the completion of your 5k!!

    ReplyDelete